Friday, January 23, 2015

London/Paris trip, 6Jan - Getting my French insulted

Noreen was still sick, so I went to a pharmacy and bought some cold medicine for her. Around lunch time, I walked down the main street in Pigalle towards the Moulin Rouge, took a couple pics of the Moulin Rouge and stopped at a shop that specializes in rugby gear to buy a French national rugby team jersey. Brought burgers back to the room for lunch. That afternoon, I decided to go for a walk and figure out what the source of playground sounds we were hearing in our room and found an elementary school next to the hotel (up the hill). That mystery solved, I went the rest of the way up the hill and found Rue des Abbesses. It's a narrow street that looks like what people imagine Paris to be. Lots of cafes, boulangeries (bakeries) and so on. People were actually lined up at the boulangerie as I walked by. There was a tiny park with a carousel,too. I found a book store and bought a special edition of Le Petit Nicolas, a book I've been reading as part of my French lessons. I went to a cafe to have a coffee and read my book. I ordered "une double expresso s'il vous plaît" and the waiter said "Why not?" in English. A couple of guys sat near me and they ordered in French and the waiter jokingly barked at them asking if they spoke French. He was saying hello to the passing people in Italian and Gerrman, having lots of fun. When I asked for "le addition s'il vous plaît" he said "the check?" and when he brought it I said "merci, thank you, gracias, danke" and off I went. He was clearly having fun playing the role of "rude waiter." So, I officially had my French insulted by a French waiter. That night, Noreen wasn't up for doing anything, so I went and had dinner (steak hache avec oeuf o cheval - ground steak with an egg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home