Monday, May 29, 2006

The Longest Day

One of my favorite movies is "The Longest Day," a sweeping saga of D-Day. It has one of the best long, single-takes in moviedom - the French seaside village battle. It stars everyone. And when I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. I think I'm the only person who wasn't in that movie, mostly because I was born a few years too late. A couple of the nifty gems about this movie:
The piper who played the bagpipes as Lord Lovat's commandos stormed ashore is played by the actual man who did this stirring deed on D-Day. His name is Bill Millin. He recently donated that very set of pipes to the national war memorial in Edinburgh Castle.

As a 22-year-old private, Joseph Lowe landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day with the Second Ranger Battalion and scaled the cliffs at Point-Du-Hoc. He scaled those hundred-foot cliffs all over again, for the cameras, some 17 years later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are cool! I don't think I've ever watched the entire movie. I'll have to do that.

Thank you to all who died to preserve our freedom. Thank you to those who have and are currently serving in the Armed Forces. We owe so much to you all. And a special thought to our troops in the Middle East and Cuba who are doing a stellar job in terrible circumstances.

5/30/2006 05:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home