Monday, April 18, 2005

Why GM is in the tank

Ignoring the issue of them having way too many American brands (Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, GMC, and probably others that I'm forgetting), they are the kiss of death. Here's a conversation I overheard on Friday at a restaurant, the lady is L, her companion is C (they were at a table of 6 or 7 people).
L: I drove a Saab today, I really liked it!
C: Really?
L: Yes, I did. But they are General Motors, aren't they?
C: Yup.
L: I guess it's OK, though, because Saab, is like, different people, right?

So, GM has made Saab guilty by association. Saab has always had a rep for building great cars (though a bit quirky).

While I was in Seattle seeing Noreen, I had a Pontiac Grand Prix as my rental car. It was an OK car, but nothing I'd get excited about. If a buyer has $25K to buy a new car, which one do you think they will buy?
1: Pontiac Grand Prix, with GM's reputation for reliability issues, horrid re-sale value, etc.
2: Honda Accord. Honda has a great reputation for reliability and resale value.
3: Toyota Camry. See Honda's comments.

All 3 are about the same size and perform more or less the same. If you go berzerk on the Honda Accord and get the top of the line model with a 3.0L V-6 (the GP has a 3.8L V6), you get the same gas mileage (21/30) and all of the goodies, you're at 29K.
(And for this discussion, we're only talking new cars at the $25K price-point. Add in CPO cars from BMW, Benz, Inifniti and Lexus and the Pontiac GP shrinks into the distance as a car purchased for rentalcar fleets)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home