Thursday, March 31, 2005

Update from the Northwest

My first class upgrades were nice, but not that useful. The seats were slightly wider I had a touch more legroom than I would have gotten in economy plus, but other than that, not much to write home about. 1st class on 777s and 747s would be worth it, though.
The landing into San Fran was interesting as it travels low enough over the SF Bay so that you can see things distinctly. We buzzed base that used to be Alameda and I could see a deserted airfield abd a bunch of mothballed ships, including an aircraft carrier, USS Hornet (CV-12). This Hornet is not the one that was sunk during WW2 (that one was CV-8). Info on the "new" Hornet here

My flight into Seattle from San Fran was delayed about 30min because the co-pilot was stuck in traffic (or so they said).

We went out last night with Noreen's grandparents (her paternal set). Her dad served 30 years in the Coast Guard and they've lived in the Seattle area (well, at least owned the house) since the 50s. We had a great time with them and I immediately hit it off with both of them.

Today, not much going on, I expect. Noreen is still in training and I'm not sure what we'll be doing after that. But, at least we are getting to hang out together for a while.

And of course, the Navy hasn't figured out yet how they are going to get all of the people that are here at Ft Lewis down to Gitmo by 14April.

That's the news from here. Posting right now at an internet cafe on Ft Lewis....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you ARE having a wonderful time.

So glad that you & Noreen were able to get together with Noreen's grandparents. I'll bet they loved it.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Love,
Mom

4/01/2005 07:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home